A wonderful creamy soup that is hearty enough for a main dish.
Start to finish: 40 min.
YIELD: 6 servings, about 12 oz. ea.
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 12 oz. package QuickSteak® Chicken Breast
• 3 teaspoons QuickSteak Wow!® Seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
• 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
• 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced, about 1 cup
• 3 stalks celery, sliced, about 1 cup
• 1 medium onion, diced, about 1 cup
• 2/3 cup all purpose flour
• 6 cups canned chicken broth
• 10 oz package frozen cauliflower, broccoli and carrots
• 1-1/2 cups Half & Half
• 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped, fresh
• 1 cup bow tie pasta, uncooked
• 1 small lemon, juiced, about 3 tablespoons
1. In a heavy 4-quart stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add QuickSteak® chicken breast portions to stock pot and saute. Use spatula to separate breast portions into 1/2-inch pieces, cook chicken until it begins to brown slightly and there is no pink remaining*.
2. Add mushrooms, celery, and onion to the sautéed chicken.
3. Cook until celery and onion are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add 2/3 cup flour to sautéed chicken and vegetables, stirring frequently, cook 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Gradually mix in 1 cup of canned chicken broth, stir until incorporated, slowly add remaining 5 cups of chicken broth to the stock pot, stir until mixture comes to a thick, creamy consistency.
6. Pour the package of frozen cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots into the stock pot and bring soup to a slow simmer, heat through, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add 1-1/2 cups Half & Half and chopped parsley to the simmering soup. Stir together and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Turn heat to low. (The chicken soup mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead and stored. If storing, cool slightly, cover and refrigerate.)
8. In a 4-quart pot of boiling, salted water, cook 1 cup bow tie pasta until just tender, but still firm to bite, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
9. Bring chicken soup to a simmer. Add cooked pasta to the soup and mix in lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. May be served with warm, crusty rolls.
A season salt blend may be substituted for Wow!® Seasoning Blend. A poultry season blend may be substituted for rubbed sage. Macaroni or penne pasta would work well as a substitute for the Bow tie pasta.
*Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165°F as measured with a food thermometer.
This recipe has been adapted from a dish served at J. Alexander’s Restaurant in Troy, MI. It was first published in Bon Appétit magazine, November 1999 and then posted on www.epicurious.com.